UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU baseball team continued with conference play on Sunday, as the team welcomed in Tiffin University for the first home GLIAC doubleheader of the 2017 season. The Cardinals hit three home runs in the opener, yet were defeated 17-6 by the Dragons. The second game was halted due to darkness after seven full innings of play with the Cards leading 15-10. That game will be resumed at 11:00 a.m. Monday.
The opening contest in this GLIAC doubleheader saw Tiffin get out to an early lead on SVSU. TU was held scoreless in the first but plated the game's first runs in the second with a grand slam home run landing deep in left center. Tiffin ended the inning with a 4-0 lead.
SVSU worked to cut into the Dragon lead with a pair of solo home runs from Adam Turner and Colton Brooks in the 2nd & 4th innings, respectively. The Cardinals were now down 4-2 after four innings of play.
Tiffin entered the fifth inning looking to expand on the two-run lead and did so in a big way. The Dragons struck with a solo home run and then an RBI single two batters later to take a 6-2 lead. An SVSU fielding error brought home two more runs later in the inning, pushing the Dragons ahead 8-2.
A two-run home run from Brendan Harrison in the bottom half of the 5th cut into Tiffin's lead once again at 8-4.
The deficit remained at four after the sixth innings, with each team trading a single run in the top and bottom halves. SVSU scored its run off a fielder's choice off the bat of Craig Wilson.
With one inning left to play, Tiffin sent 12 batters to the plate and scored eight runs to put game one out of reach for the Cardinals.
SVSU added a run in the seventh with a bases loaded walk to finalize the score at 17-6 in favor of Tiffin.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mason Schwellenbach reached base safely in all four plate appearances for SVSU in the contest. He went 3-for-3 with a run scored and had an RBI from his bases loaded walk in the seventh.
- Brooks was 2-3 in the opener with an RBI and run scored.
- Adam Turner scored two runs for SVSU and hit his third home run of the season in the second inning. He finished 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Jordan Swiss notched a multi-hit game as well for the Cardinals.
- Brendan Harrison went 1-for-3 with a home run in the fifth inning.
On the Mound
- Trevor Friday got the start for SVSU in the opener and was given the loss. He went 4.0 innings and allowed four runs on six hits, walking two and fanning four batters.
- Tyler Stambaugh then came in for Friday in the fifth. He went just one inning for the Cardinals, giving up four runs on five base hits.
- Alex Millhisler relieved Stambaugh for the sixth inning and pitched well, only allowing two base hits and one earned run.
- Camden Dice and Austin Koin closed out the seventh for the Cardinals.
After Tiffin plated five runs in the top of the 1st, SVSU pushed three runs across to trim the deficit to 5-3 in the bottom half of the frame.. Schwellenbach had a lead-off solo home run for the Cardinals, who also got an RBI single from Harrison that scored Wilson and another from Adam Fitzgibbon to score Chad Carson.
In the bottom of the 5th inning and trailing 7-3, Brooks hit his second long ball of the day, driving-in Jordan Swiss to make the score 7-5.
The home team Cardinals would give up another pair in the 6th, which made the score 9-5. They responded in the bottom of the 6th again with four runs, tying the game at 9-9. A Turner RBI single scored Wilson and Carson was plated when Fitzgibbon reached on a fielding error. Brooks followed with a two-RBI double, scoring Turner and Fitzgibbon.
The Dragons added a single run in the top of the 7th, taking a brief 10-9 lead over the Cardinals.
SVSU added six runs in the home half of the inning, taking a lead at 15-10. The Cardinals got runs when Fitzgibbon walked-in Wilson and Swiss was hit by a pitch to score Carson. Brooks then came up big once again, taking another one deep to center field for his third long ball of the day, making the count 15-10 in the Cardinals' favor.
That was where the game would be halted, as darkness crept-in and the game will be finished Monday morning at 11:00 a.m.
Inside the Boxscore
- Brooks is 4-4 with two home runs, a double, walk, eight RBI and two runs in the nightcap.
- Carson, Harrison and Wilson all have two hits so far in the second game as well. Wilson scored three times while Harrison has an RBI.
- Fitzgibbon has a hit, two RBI and pair of runs.
On the Mound
- Amani Godfrey got the start, lasting 5.0 innings. He allowed nine runs on seven hits, striking-out three and walking six.
- Jason Clark worked 2.0 innings, giving up a single run on two hits, walking one and notching a pair of strikeouts.
The teams will resume the halted second game at 11:00 a.m. Monday morning before playing the rest another doubleheader after the conclusion of that game at the SVSU Baseball Complex.
@SVSUbaseball | #svsubsb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU