COLUMBUS, Ohio - The SVSU baseball team returned to the diamond on Saturday to complete a four-game series with the Ohio Dominican Panthers to begin conference play. After dropping both games of a doubleheader on Friday, SVSU was defeated by a score of 3-0 in Game 1 and dropped an 8-6 decision to the Panthers in Game 2.
The Cardinals and Panthers began the first game of a doubleheader by playing to a scoreless tie through the first three innings.
ODU broke through in the bottom of the fourth inning with an RBI single, giving the Panthers a 1-0 lead. The Cardinals then put two runners in scoring position in the following half inning but left them stranded to close the top of the fifth. ODU connected for two more runs in the bottom of the fifth, pushing ahead by three runs on SVSU.
Saginaw Valley was retired in order in the sixth inning and then grounded into a double play in the seventh inning to drop Game 1, 3-0.
Inside the Boxscore
- Chad Carson notched the only multi-hit game for the Cardinals, finishing 2-for-3 at the plate with a pair of singles. He also had a stolen base.
- Brendan Harrison batted cleanup for the Cardinals and had SVSU's only extra-base hit of the opener.
- Jordan Swiss, Craig Wilson and Adam Fitzgibbon each recorded a base hit for the Cardinals as well.
- SVSU was outhit 7-6 by the Panthers.
On the Mound
- Scott Sency (1-4) took the loss for the Cardinals. He went 4.1 innings on the mound and allowed three runs on seven hits with three walks.
- Camden Dice appeared in relief for SVSU, pitching 1.2 innings of scoreless baseball.
The Cards got out to the early 1-0 lead as Carson roped a double down the left field line, scoring Wilson from first base.
SVSU then tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the 2nd. Jason Clark gave SVSU a two-run lead with an RBI double that brought home Colton Brooks. Clark would cross home later in the inning thanks to an RBI single from Wilson.
Ohio Dominican kept the deficit at 3-2 after scoring two runs in the bottom half of the 2nd off fielding errors by the Cardinals.
The Cardinals pushed along into the 5th inning where they would regain the three-run edge on ODU. SVSU scored a pair of runs off a double from Brendan Harrison and later from a single off the bat of Brooks.
SVSU would lead 6-2 at the end of the 6th inning, after the Cardinals scored one run from an RBI single by Wilson.
ODU was unable to cut the deficit in the bottom frame, but rallied in the 7th and 8th innings to take the lead from SVSU. The Panthers scored three runs in both innings to jump ahead 8-6 on the Cardinals and were three outs from the series sweep.
The Cardinals were retired in order in the top of the 9th inning, dropping Game 2 by an 8-6 final and were swept in the four-game weekend series against Ohio Dominican.
Inside the Boxscore
- Craig Wilson had a solid performance at the plate for the Cardinals. He went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and scored a run as well.
- Chad Carson closed out the nightcap with another multi-hit contest against the Panthers. He finished 2-for-5 with a single, double, RBI and a run scored.
- Austin Koin and Colton Brooks each had a pair of hits for SVSU as well. They also plated runs for the Cardinals.
- Jason Clark was 1-for-3 at the plate and drove in a run.
On the Mound
- Brian Feinauer got the start for the Cardinals and pitched well. He went 5 full innings and only allowed two runs (one earned) on two total hits. He would walk five batters and struck out three.
- Amani Godfrey then took over for Feinauer, going 1.2 innings in relief for SVSU.
- Alex Millhisler (0-1) was credited with the loss, giving up three runs (two earned) on three base hits in his one inning of work.
The Cardinals continues with the GLIAC baseball schedule next weekend with a road trip to Lake Erie College. SVSU and Lake Erie will square off in a four-game series on Saturday and Sunday. First pitch on Saturday is set for 1:00 p.m. with Game 2 slated for a 4:00 p.m. start. Action from Painesville, Ohio on Sunday will begin at Noon.
@SVSUbaseball | #svsubsb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU