ST. LOUIS, Mo. - The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team took to the field on Saturday afternoon to complete a road matchup at regional opponent Maryville. The Cardinals dropped both ends of the doubleheader, falling by an 8-7 score in the seven-inning opener before dropping a 16-8 count in the nightcap.
SVSU's offense struck early with a lead-off solo home run off the bat of Derrek Clyde. His solo shot was the first of the season for both Clyde and the Cardinals, who took the 1-0 lead just one batter into the contest.
The Cardinals lead would hold at 1-0 as the game pushed into the top of the fifth inning.
In the top half of the fourth inning, SVSU would begin to pull away from Maryville. Clyde would plate two more runs off a single to right field with no outs in the inning. Adam Fitzgibbon then added a base hit that drove home Colton Brooks, who advanced to third on Clyde's single. With the bases loaded, Garrett Soule drew a walk that scored Clyde and pushed SVSU's lead to 5-0.
SVSU tacked on two more runs in the top of the fifth with a single off the bat of Chad Carson, giving the Cardinals a commanding 7-0 lead.
The Cardinals would surrender that seven-run lead in the bottom half of the seventh. A pair of extra base hits scored two runs each for Maryville along with a pair of sacrifice fly RBI pushed the Saints ahead 8-7 at the end of the fifth.
SVSU was unable to regain the lead and were defeated 8-7 in the opening game of the doubleheader.
Inside the Boxscore
- Derrek Clyde recorded his first career SVSU home run in the first at-bat of the contest. His solo home run gave the Cardinals an early lead.
- Chad Carson went 2-for-4 at the plate and drove in two runs with his RBI single in the top of the fourth inning.
- Colin Winters also picked up a multi-hit game, finishing 2-for-3 with a stolen base
- Colton Brooks had a solid game, going 2-for-4 on the day and scored two runs.
- Collin Winters notched two hits in the opening game.
- Amani Godfrey (0-0) toed the slab for SVSU, going 3.1 innings in the start and only allowing two hits.
After Maryville scored five runs to close the first inning, SVSU countered with a two-run home run from Adam Turner. His first HR of the season cut the deficit to 5-2
Maryville would score runs in the third and fourth innings to jump ahead 10-4 on SVSU. The Cardinals scored two runs in the top half of the fourth with an RBI base knock from Trace Woodworth and a sacrifice fly RBI off the bat of Brendan Harrison.
SVSU would add another run in the fifth inning, scoring on a passed ball.
Maryville scored a run in the final three innings while SVSU plated two runs in the top of the eighth. The Saints finished the night cap with the 16-8 victory over SVSU and complete a four-game sweep.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals had 11 hits in the nightcap with four different Cardinals driving in baserunners.
- Adam Turner had a solid day in the batter box, going 3-for-4 with a home run and scoring two runs.
- Garrett Soule had a pair of hits and scored three times in the nightcap.
- Chad Carson recorded a double and walked twice in the third spot in the lineup for SVSU.
- Nate Blackwell went 1-for-3 with 2 RBI as the nine-hole hitter.
SVSU travels to Carson-Newman for a four-game series next weekend. Game 1 takes place on Friday at 2:00p.m. while both teams partake in a doubleheader on Saturday. Game times are set for Noon and 3:00 p.m. The four-game series concludes on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
@SVSUBaseball| #svsubsb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU