Game #1: Saginaw Valley 4, Lake Erie 3
Game #2: Lake Erie 8, Saginaw Valley 7
Kiwannis Park - Painesville, Ohio
PAINESVILLE, Ohio - The SVSU baseball team split a GLIAC doubleheader against the Lake Erie Storm on Saturday in Ohio. SVSU claimed a 4-3 victory after Chad Carson belted a game-winning home run in the top of the seventh of game one. Lake Erie broke a 7-7 tie in the bottom of the ninth inning of game two to claim an 8-7 win in the nightcap.
The Storm grabbed the 2-1 lead in the bottom half of the third but in the top half of the fourth Brendan Harrison hit a solo shot to center to knot the ball game at 2-2.
Dylan Schultz scored in the fifth inning on a wild pitch to extend the lead to 3-2 but a Lucas Raley home run would answer to tie the game at 3-3 heading into the seventh inning.
Carson would come up big for the Cardinals, however, as he stroked a solo homer to right-center to give the visitors a 4-3 edge heading into the bottom half of the seventh.
The Cardinals closed out from there, claiming the one-run victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Carson was 2-for-4 with the game-winning RBI and winning run to his credit.
- Kazmierski had a hit and RBI while Harrison did as well, scoring a run.
- Scott Sency got the start and worked 5.0 innings, allowing just two earned runs and four hits while striking-out five batters.
- Andrew Tidwell (1-0) picked up the victory while tossing the final 2.0 innings, allowing a single hit and striking out one while preserving the victory.
Lake Erie scored three runs in the bottom half of the first to take a 3-0 edge.
SVSU cut into the lead when Harrison plated Richard Guglielmi for the 3-1 score in the top of the second.
The Cardinals added a trio of runs in the top of the third inning to grab the 4-3 lead when Guglielmi hit a three-run shot to right center field. He scored Carson and Kazmierski on the long ball.
The Storm tied the game in the bottom half of the frame to make the score 4-4.
Lake Erie would continue to add three runs in the bottom of the fifth to re-gain the advantage and make the score 7-4.
The top of the seventh inning saw Soule score Carson to make the count 7-5 and a two-run shot from Soule in the top of the ninth tied things up at 7-7 after he cleared the fence with Guglielmi on-base.
The Storm would get a sacrifice fly in the bottom half of the inning to claim the victory, sealing the split with the Cardinals in the league series.
Inside the Boxscore
- Guglielmi and Soule each had a pair of hits and three RBIs as a product of their home runs. Guglielmi scored three times in the game.
- Carson and Kazmierski had the other two hits for SVSU in the nightcap while Harrison had the other RBI.
- Bailey Magsig got the start on the mound and pitched 5.0 innings, allowing seven runs on eight hits. Only three of the runs were earned.
Saginaw Valley travels to the University of Findlay this weekend for a league series after competing at Central Michigan University for a single, nine-inning game on Tuesday (Apr. 5) in Mount Pleasant. First pitch is set for 3:05 p.m. at CMU on Tuesday.