Game #1: Saginaw Valley 12, Lake Erie 5
Game #2: Lake Erie 18, Saginaw Valley 10
Kiwannis Park - Painesville, Ohio
PAINESVILLE, Ohio - The SVSU baseball team began its weekend series at Lake Erie on Friday with an opening game 12-5 victory over the Storm. The second game of the day was declared final in the seventh inning with Lake Erie leading by an 18-10 count.
The Cardinals scored the first 11 runs in the opener to grab an 11-0 advantage. SVSU scored two runs in the top of the first inning after an RBI single from Richard Guglielmi that scored Adam Fitzgibbon and an RBI from Brendan Harrison that plated Chad Carson for the second run. Two more runs in the second, compliments of a Fitzgibbon RBI that plated Greg Kazmierski and a Garrett Soule RBI that plated Fitzgibbon, pushed the lead out to 4-0.
A Jordan Swiss solo home run in the top of the third inning gave the Cardinals a 5-0 advantage and a Harrison RBI double that scored Soule in the fourth made the score 6-0.
Saginaw Valley erupted for a five spot in the top of the fifth inning to make the lead 11-0. A Carson squeeze play scored Carson Eby and that was followed by a two-run Guglielmi home run that pushed Fitzgibbon across. Swiss then added an RBI double that scored Soule for the fifth run.
Lake Erie responded with three runs in the bottom of the inning to make the score 11-3 before SVSU scored another to make the score 12-3. The 12th run came compliments of Kazmierski's first career home run, as he hit a shot over the center field fence.
The Storm had two runs in the bottom half of the sixth to make the score 12-5, which is where it woudl stay with SV notching the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Swiss and Kazmierski each had three hits in the opener with a home run. Swiss had a pair of RBIs and a run scored while Kazmierski scored three times and had an RBI.
- Soule, Guglielmi, Carson and Fitzgibbon all added a pair of hits for Saginaw Valley. Guglielmi had a trio of RBIs while Carson had two.
- Harrison had a hit and two RBIs as well.
- Michael Ellenbest (3-2) picked up his third victory of the season after working 6.0 innings, striking-out four batters while allowing five runs on seven hits.
A Guglielmi RBI double scored Adam Fitzgibbon in the top of the first for the 1-0 lead.
After the Storm scored three runs in the bottom of the first, the Cardinals matched those three with a trio in the top of the second to take the lead, 4-3. Those runs came via a Dylin Eschenburg sacrifice fly that scored Harrison and a Fitzgibbon RBI fielder's choice that plated Swiss. Valutis would then score on a double-steal for the third run.
Lake Erie posted eight runs in the bottom of the third inning, getting the lead back with the score 11-4.
Saginaw Valley had a big inning of its own in the top of the fourth, plating six runs to cut the deficit to 11-10. The big blast of that inning was a grand slam from Soule. Harrison had a solo home run and a bases-loaded walk to Guglielmi accounted for the other run that scored Eschenburg.
The Cardinals couldn't keep the Storm off the board from there, however, as Lake Erie scored four runs, two runs and a single run in the fourth through sixth innings, respectively, to close out for the 18-10 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Swiss was 3-for-4 with a run scored while Harrison added two hits, two runs and an RBI on his home run.
- Soule had the grand slam while collecting four RBIs and scoring a run.
- Luke Valutis scored a run and reached base three times via a walk.
- Guglielmi walked three times as well and had a pair of RBIs.
- Clayton Spiker (2-2) took the loss on the mound for the Cardinals.
The teams will play a doubleheader to close out the series, beginning with a first pitch at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday at Kiwannis Park.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---