Score: Saginaw Valley 2, Ashland 1
Records: SVSU (8-9) | AU (8-8)
Donges Field - Ashland, Ohio
ASHLAND, Ohio - The SVSU Baseball team played its third and final game at Ashland University on Sunday looking to make the trip home after a victory over the Eagles. The Cardinals would do just that, getting another solid performance on the mound from Clayton Spiker, three hits from Chad Carson and another pair from Garrett Soule in a 2-1 victory over the Eagles at Ashland's Donges Field.
After dropping the first game of the weekend, non-conference slate, SVSU closed out for two straight wins at Ashland.
Saginaw Valley jumped out front 1-0 in the top of the first inning after a Brendan Harrison RBI groundout that scored Dylin Eschenburg, who reached on a hit by pitch and moved to third after a Carson double.
The Cards moved the lead to 2-0 with another run in the top of the sixth, this one coming compliments of a Soule RBI single that plated Carson. Carson reached on a single and advanced after a sac bunt from Harrison.
Ashland got its only run on an eighth-inning home run off the bat of Greg Ludwig.
Andrew Tidwell would come on in relief for SVSU and get the final four outs, preserving the victory and recording his first save of the 2016 season.
Inside the Boxscore
- Carson was 3-for-4 with a walk and run scored.
- Soule added a pair of hits in three plate appearances. He walked once as well and added an RBI.
- Eschenburg, Jordan Swiss and Richard Guglielmi had the other three hits for SVSU.
- Spiker (2-0) worked 7.0 innings of scoreless ball on the mound for the Cardinals. He scattered six hits, walked two and posted a pair of strikeouts.
- Tidwell pitched the final 1.1 innings and allowed just a single hit and struck-out one batter.
Saginaw Valley opens GLIAC play this weekend, as it hosts Grand Valley State University in a four-game weekend series at the SVSU Baseball Complex. Friday's doubleheader is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start time and Saturday will feature a noon first pitch for the doubleheader.
@SVSUBaseball | #svsubsb
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---